With the increased emphasis by central government on measures to reduce the use of “single occupancy private vehicles” a Travel Plan is now a standard requirement for major developments and are a necessary part of the initial planning submission. The National Planning Policy Framework promotes the use of sustainable transport and the document indicates that a key tool to facilitate this is a Travel Plan.
What is a Travel Plan?
A Travel Plan (formerly referred to as a Green Travel Plan) is a series of initiatives or measures devised in such a way so as to achieve the objectives or aims of a workplace, school, or other organisation to encourage safe, healthy and sustainable travel options. Typically the aim is to restrain travel by car which can free up car parking space, make a positive contribution to the community and environment and help to reduce the number of cars on the road and hence emissions, delay and congestion. Every Travel Plan is different and bespoke to the purpose for which it is written, but most travel plans follow a structured process in their development.
A Travel Plan will normally include:
- An audit of existing sustainable travel arrangements
- A survey of existing travel patterns where an 'end user' is known
- An outline of the role of the appointed Travel Plan Coordinator
- Measures to encourage the use of each category of sustainable transport
- An explanation of the Annual Action Plan
- Time table of key events, targets and monitoring
- Liaison arrangements with the Local Planning Authority or Local Travelwise team.
A Travel Plan is a dynamic document and it is part of the Travel Plan Coordinator's role to administer and carry out the annual travel plan survey and to devise with the Local Planning Authority, or its Travelwise team, the most appropriate measures to be included in the Annual Action Plan to achieve or retain targets for the various modes of travel.
Need a Travel Plan?
We would be delighted to provide you with our competitive fee proposal to provide you with a Travel Plan, please call us on 01924 844080 or click here to complete our secure online form.